Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Check out the diaper count-->

My dad commented the other day, "Wouldn't it be interesting to count exactly how many diapers a baby uses total?" Yes, dad. Yes, that would be interesting.

Glance slightly to your right... There, you should see a box labelled 'Total Diaper Count', as well as the date it was last updated. Here, I will keep track of how many diapers Sophie has used. Total. Ever. Who knows just how high the number will get in the following months... and years.

The box will be organized by size (right now, the only size ever used is N for Newborn), and next to the size, the price per diaper of the cheapest generic diaper available when not on sale (for newborns, this is 12 cents per diaper). Below that, I list the packages of diapers, the type of diaper, and the amount I paid for the package. Then I subtract the diapers not yet used, and I have (ta-da!) the total number of diapers in that size I've used so far, as well as the amount I paid per diaper.

If you've examined my analysis very carefully, chances are you're curious about the 'emergency maxipad diaper'. What was supposed to be a 3-hour trip to town turned into a 10-hour trip when I became ill and needed to wait for 4 hours to see a doctor, and although the 6 diapers I'd packed were overkill for a 3-hour trip, they did not withstand the lengthy wait, and I was forced to construct a diaper out of 3 maxipads lifted from an office bathroom in the last hour of our sojourn. (Not something I recommend; if you can't afford diapers, don't try to make do with paper towels and duct tape either. Instead, opt for free diapers)

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Follow my blog to track the number of diapers Sophie uses in her lifetime (and how much I spend!), or just to share the joys of motherhood, the frustrations of single -motherhood, and everything in between.

1 comment:

  1. That's a cool idea. I had wondered if anyone ever kept track of how many had been used. The number has to be shocking :)

    ReplyDelete